Meal: Lunch or Supper; Serves: 6; Portion Size: 1 cup; Prep: 20 minutes; Cook Time: 20 minutes.
|2 cups||canned tomatoes, crushed, including liquid|
|1/4 cup||canned tomato paste|
|1 tablespoon||dark molasses|
|1 tablespoon||Dijon mustard|
|2-1/4 teaspoon||dark brown sugar|
|1 tablespoon||olive / canola oil, 90/10 blend|
|1-1/2 cups||yellow onions, diced, 1/2"|
|1 pound||ground beef, 80/20|
|4 ounces||red bell peppers, diced, 1/2"|
|2 tablespoons||minced garlic cloves|
|2 tablespoons||jalapeno chili peppers, minced|
|1/4 teaspoon||kosher salt|
|1/8 teaspoon||black pepper|
|2 cups||canned dark red kidney canned, drained, rinsed|
- Whisk together crushed tomatoes, paste, molasses, mustard and sugar and set aside.
- In a preheated skillet, add oil and onions and cook until translucent.
- Add ground beef; cook for 3 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add peppers, garlic and jalapeno chilies and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper and kidney beans. Add the sauce. When mixture starts to boil, lower the heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Uncover and stir a few times, making sure that it does not burn on the bottom.
- Serve on toasted whole wheat bun.
Nutrition Information: 326 Calories, Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Sodium 575 mg, Protein 22 g, Dietary Fiber 8 g
Recipe courtesy of Morrison Healthcare